I’m sure you have figured out by now that I have a “thing” for decorating for the holidays and seasons. Recently I became bored with my decorations and began thinking of something different and new. Dan made the observation I had very few patriotic decorations. This isn’t due to being unamerican or anti-patriotic. There just aren’t as many decorations out there to support the love of these holidays. So when I found a picture of a wooden stair spindle turned Uncle Sam on the great wide world of the internet I couldn’t resist. I immediately went shopping in the huge wooden spindle section at work and found the best one for Uncle Sam’s body. I then trimmed it down to be level on both ends (which also made him shorter). I used the extra wood that was cut off for his hat. I also used 1×4 and 1×6 scrap material for the base and the base of his hat. With a little bit of painting and a lot of fun playing with star buttons, I created my new favorite decoration.
1 wooden stair spindle
2″ square for hat
Scrap wood for the base and hat base
Blue, Red, White, and Flesh paint
Patriotic Star Buttons
3 Large wooden hearts
1) Sand the spindle so the paint will stick.
2) Prime the entire spindle; this makes it easier to paint and you will use less paint in the long run.
3) Paint the mid section of the spindle blue; apply several coats as needed. This is his body so don’t paint the solid square parts as they are his legs and face.
4) Once the blue paint has dried, paint the lower square section of the spindle white. Also paint the wood (hat) square white. Apply several coats as needed.
5) Once the white paint is COMPLETELY dry, tape off stripes in the spindle base and hat.
6) Once the stripes have been taped off, paint over it with white paint; this will “seal” the tape and you will have less bleeding under the tape.
7) When the white paint has dried, paint over it with red paint. This gives his pants and hat stripes. Remove painters tape once paint has dried.
8) Paint the hat base and wood base solid red.
9) Paint his face flesh colored.
10) Hot glue the base to the spindle, hat base to the top of the spindle, and the square onto the hat base.
11) Use the large wooden hearts to build a mustache. Cut 2 of the hearts in half with a knife (Think of a “ying” shape). Glue the 2 yings to the 3rd heart. They will be the “handle bars” on his beard/mustache.
12) Paint the beard white.
13) Glue the beard on the face of Uncle Sam.
14) Using a small paint brush and white paint make 2 small white lines on face as eye brows. Then with a permanent marker make 2 round black dots for eyes.